Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Fair Isle

Good news! A local grocery store delivers, so I don't have to leave my apartment, except for school. We don't have a car, so we have to walk down to the grocery store, then back. It's not fun, especially with the snow that's been around lately.


In knitting news, the veil is still rather unimpressive. Bradly's turtleshell hat has been ripped, and the black will be replaced with a light grey. Rather than start on that, however, I cast on a new project. Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts. I like 'em, but my progress has led me to be rather confused about my knitting.


For a long time, I was more than happy with stripes as the height of my colorwork experience. Fair Isle was, you know, kind of nifty, but not really my thing. The We Call Them Pirates Mitten was more to prove that I could do Fair Isle than anything else. And once I finished the one, there was no desire to make the second. I could do Fair Isle, I just chose not to.


Then I cast on these mitts. More Fair Isle. And my next small project will probably be a pair of Fair Isle socks. While I still don't see myself ever making a Fair Isle sweater, apparently, I like the technique more than I thought. Of course, this could just be a small phase in my knitting career. This month Fair Isle, next month felting. We'll see.

No comments: