Saturday, March 3, 2007

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

(with apologies to Raymond Carver)


Way back when, when I first started knitting, I went to a yarn store in Little Rock with my parents (my mom weaves, my sister crochets, and my dad enables). As with any store, I went for the clearance section. There, I found a few balls of a cream colored alpaca yarn. Being new and not knowing any better, I only grabbed one ball. And from that, I fell in love with alpaca.


That sad ball of yarn has sat in my stash for close to three years, waiting for a project worthy of it. A few attempts have been made, but always ripped out, the yarn returning to my stash, to be admired and petted.


Then, my boyfriend asked for a hat. With navy blue and white. The only white yarn I had in my stash, without plans, was the glorious alpaca.

This, my friends, is love. My beloved boyfriend has a hat made from my beloved alpaca. Although he has agreed that if he doesn't like the hat, I can reclaim my alpaca, to return to the stash bin of admiration.

No comments: