Thursday, July 26, 2007

Process knitting at its best


Once upon a time, when I was just a fledgling knitter, I made this:

My first finished sweater-type project (not the first one I started. That was a sweater for my 6-foot tall, 53-inch chested father. That was an experiment in fortitude and madness). It was from a Knitpicks pattern, made from Knitpicks Shine Sport. And there's nothing wrong with it, really. Considering I didn't exactly know what I was doing while seaming it, it came out really well.

But I never wear it. Boleros, or any type of short jacket really, don't make a lot of sense to me. The sleeves make it too warm to wear in any season except for the ones where I want a full jacket protecting as much of me as possible.

Plus I'm bored. So, two days ago, that thing became this:

Yarn, ready for the knitting. Ready, in fact, to become the Pea Pod Baby Sweater from Kate Gilbert and Interweave Knits. For my nephew. Who lives in Arkansas, and where he has some use for a cotton sweater, and where I'll never know if the sweater actually gets worn.

I have another sweater that's about to undergo a similar remaking in the near future. More about that later.

No comments: