Thursday, January 25, 2007

Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right

Similarly, two good things don't outweigh one bad thing.

Good thing #1:

My final Red Scarf is finished. It's drying right now, but then it will be wrapped up in one of the handy-dandy labels, placed in a box with care, and mailed off. Probably Monday. With priority mail, it should get there in plenty of time. By the way, I know that's a bad picture, and there's no real proof that the scarf's actually done, but trust me, it is. Finished around 11 o'clock last night.



Good thing #2:
In order to finish this scarf, I had to figure out how to graft 2x2 ribbing. And I did! It's not perfect by any means, but it's better than if I had just tried the stockinette grafting. You can see the seam line in the picture, but it's really not as noticeable in person. It's not invisible, by any means, but it's not as obvious.
Bad thing (sans picture): I broke a needle. What makes this really bad is that it's all my fault. Well, mostly my fault. My wayward boyfriend helped in its ultimate demise.
I tend to be rather careless with my knitting. whenever I stop, I just drop the WIP on the floor. Makes it easier to pick it back up when I want to. Aside from a few unfortunate DPN incidents (I have a nice, round, 3.75 mm scar on my right thigh), this hasn't caused any problems. Monday, I had to go to school, so I dropped the Red Scarf on the floor next to the computer. I came home, and the boyfriend had moved the chair. ON TOP OF MY NEEDLE. It wasn't completely broken, so I put some Scotch tape around the break, and kept knitting. Wednesday, I went to class. The scenario repeats, with more dire consequences. I come home to find my lovely 4.0 mm bamboo needle, a gift from my father, in two pieces on the floor. There's not enough Scotch tape in the world to fix that. I used what I had and finished the scarf with one and half needles. I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. Throw the broken needle away, I suppose.

No comments: