Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Arrrr-gyle!

So what was that pile o' yarn destined to become?


Arrr-gyle socks. These socks amuse me to no end. They were borne out of my desire to avoid having half skeins laying around the house. After making my Jaywalkers, I had over half a skein of the yarn used for them. I know from experience that that's not enough to make even a pair of anklets, but I really have no other use for sock yarn aside from, well, socks.

Reading Julia's archives, I was reminded of the Arrr-gyle socks, and remembered that I desperately wanted a pair. Simply stripes has fairly long repeats, and it seemed totally reasonable to use that yarn for the diamonds of color, and the navy sock yarn as the background. A little bit of math later (how much yarn do I have left, how much yarn do I need for each diamond, how many diamonds can I get out of how much yarn I have left, etc) and I was ready to cast on.


The downside to using the striping yarn for the diamonds is that there are a lot of ends to weave in. A lot of ends to weave in. How many?

That's not even all of them. some have already been woven in.
But that's a good thing, since this is my first piece of intarsia (I know. My first piece of intarsia with fingering weight yarn on size 1 needles. Real bright.), so all of the ends allow me to correct my little mistakes.

Just a little bit longer and I'll be finished with the colorwork.

No comments: