Friday, January 19, 2007

I have something to say

I had written a post earlier today, but it got eaten by Blogger. Since I wasn't saying much of anything, I decided against a re-write.

But now, I have something to say.

Normally, I only block things that need blocking: lace, sweater pieces, that sort of thing. But I decided that it would probably be a good thing if I went ahead and washed the scarves I'm sending to the Red Scarf Project. The Irish Hiking Scarf has been floating around my apartment for a fair number of months now, who knows what it's picked up in the process. I filled up my bathroom sink with some lukewarm water, added some Eucalan wash, and dropped the scarf in. I knew it would bleed. I wasn't expecting the water to turn FUCHSIA. Fuchsia people. Okay, it needs a couple more washes. Two washes later, the water is still fuchsia.

I remembered that Grumperina had this same problem with Hollyberry yarn, although hers was the Merino style, and mine's Wool of the Andes. I went to her blog and searched. She "rinsed and rinsed, and by the time my arms got really tired, and my back started to hurt from hovering over the bathtub and it was about 2 a.m., the water was a light peach color." I am not that patient. I do not want to spend my entire day washing a damn scarf.

But wait! Didn't she do some experiment about setting the dye? Why, yes she did. Vinegar. Vinegar saved my life. I refilled my sink, added some apple cider vinegar (the only kind we have), and dropped the scarf in. The water is barely pink. I can live with that.

In other news:
Come back Monday to see what this pile of yarn is destined to be!
That's two skeins of Knitpicks Navy Essential, one hank of Knitpicks Bare sock yarn, and a partial skein of Knitpicks Simple Stripes in Tropic (left over from my Jaywalkers). Oh, and two size 1 DPNs.

No comments: