Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I Love My Mailman

Most knitters do, I've noticed. That's what happens when you order stuff online. The arrival of the mail is greeted with much joy and a little bit of stalking. In addition to my Knitpicks order (arrived Friday), my wedding dress (Saturday), I checked my mail yesterday (Tuesday), and look what was there:


That is four ounces of Zephyr laceweight yarn (50% wool, 50% silk) that is destined to become my next epic project: My wedding veil. To be perfectly honest, this isn't quite as impressive as it sounds. My wedding is a casual, mid-afternoon summer affair, so I don't need any twelve foot long Princess Di monstrosity.


The pattern I'm using came with my Knitpicks order, the Rona Lace Shawl. The problem is two-fold with this. Number one: I only want a half-circle, not the full circle in the pattern. I have to modify everything for this. Number two: The pattern is written out, not charted. Normally, this wouldn't bother me, but since I'm having to modify everything to accommodate the new shape of the shawl/veil, I have to chart everything out anyway, so I know where I need each row to start. May I say that, in addition to my mailman, I love spreadsheet programs. Everything is much easier that charting this out by hand. Trust me, I've tried it both ways.

No comments: