Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Red Yarn = Red Scarf

So the burning question is, since Rhiannon didn't add the hood to her Mariah, what is she going to do with all of the yarn left over? Normally, this would probably get tossed into my yarn Tupperware, but, as I'm sure you've noted, Mariah was red. Therefore, the leftover yarn is red. Right now, there is a charity the needs red scarves. Everyone see where I'm going with this? Good.

The pattern for this came out of Interweave Knits Fall '06. They had a special bonus insert all about scarves. I'm a little surprised that I found this pattern, considering when I first looked at that insert, I gave serious thought to throwing it away. But I didn't, and it is serving me well. If you have a copy of the insert, the pattern is Faux Cable Scarves by Pam Allen, the green version. (That's actually kind of irritating. The red version isn't faux cabling at all. It's real.) I went up a needle size, since I don't have 3.75 mm in bamboo, but I think it works out, because my yarn is thicker. I think. I'm just guessing, really, since my admittedly weak Google-fu found no information about the called-for yarn, Reynolds Destiny.


This is the third scarf I'm making for the project. I made one last year, and, with all the advanced notice given this year, I had plenty of time to make more.
From left to right: Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf, by Karen Baumer, in Lionbrand Wool-Ease, Autumn Print.
The Faux Cable Scarf featured above.
The ever-popular Irish Hiking Scarf in Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, Hollyberry.
When I say the Irish Hiking Scarf is ever-popular, I mean it. Look at the Red Scarf Project's blog. Everyone is making one of these. I keep joking to my boyfriend that it's going to become the unofficial uniform for orphans here.

No comments: