Tuesday, January 30, 2007

How many graduate students does it take to work a copier?

Three. Nothing to do with knitting, just something I learned yesterday.


Exciting times in RhiannonLand! I started my wedding veil last night. You will all recall that I am modifying Knitpick's Rona Lace Shawl to be a half-circle and knitting this out of Zephyr Laceweight yarn. That being said, this is the first time I've ever attempted any lace asides from Branching Out, which was knit with fingering weight yarn. Laceweight is so thin! I knitting with thread! Which means, of course, that I can't knit without paying extremely close attention to the project. This is going to be a project that all I do is knit. I don't surf blogs, I don't watch any movies that I actually care about, I just knit. Which can be good, you know, Zen.


The only bad thing about this has to do with the yarn. Like most laceweights, it was twisted into a hank. My ball-winder was a casualty of the move in August. So far, I've just knit with the hank hanging from the corner of my chair, but it seems to be getting a little tangled. If the yarn was thicker, I would just keep going, but I think I'm going to need to spend some quality time with the yarn and my hand-made balling technique.
In other news, this mess o' knitted yarn is destined to become Norberta. Eventually. When I feel like doing all of the finishing. Possibly never. We'll see.

No comments: