Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sleeve Joy and Yarn Worries

Starsky Jr. is coming along swimmingly. I've finished the first sleeve and have decided to take a break from the stockinette boredom and have just started on the left front. It's pretty complex ribbing, made more so by the fact that my yarn is black. I don't have any sort of lamp in my computer area, so I'm having to squint for the first few rows to determine whether I should be knitting or purling. It's kind of annoying, but less so than paying attention only to the knitting and counting "Knit 2, purl 4, knit 3, purl 3" aloud.



The sleeve isn't blocking yet, I'm going to wait until I have both done, then block them one on top of the other so they're exactly the same size. I'm thinking I got this idea from Juno, but I'm not sure. It's just roughly pinned down on the backside of my moose quilt so I could take a picture of something that vaguely resembles a sleeve, instead of a stockinette roll.

Finishing this sleeve has got me incredibly worried about running out of yarn. This is the first time I bought yarn for a sweater, then switched projects, so I'm worried. Theoretically, I should have enough. The original pattern called for 9 balls of Reynold's Revue, which has 112 yards in it. I'm swapping in Knitpicks Merino Style, which has 123 yards. So I should need 8 full balls and a little bit on a ninth. I have six full balls, plus three partial balls that added up to about one full ball, plus everything I've knit into the abandoned sweater, which should be about a ball and a half? Maybe? I originally ordered nine balls, and I know I didn't throw any away, so I should be fine. I think. I hope.

No comments: