Saturday, February 10, 2007

Sock Problems

After losing one of my Falling Leaves socks, I finally found them and washed them. Yesterday, I was going to wear them, pulled the first one on, and noticed a hole. My first thought was "Wow, that's a really big yarn over. I didn't know there were any that big." Yeah, there was a hole. Big enough to stick a finger through.
See? Big hole. And as much as I love and admire the Yarn Harlot, I can't adhere to her darning principle. I spent too much time knitting on these just throw them away. I have to at least try to fix them. So, yarn in hand, I caught the stitches that had dropped a loop, and sewed it up. I'd include a tutorial type thing, but, really, there are better ones out there. What works for me is not necessarily something to be emulated.

But still, the big hole is gone now. Whether it will reappear in the next wash is yet to be determined.
And it's not perfect, but really, very little of what I do ever is. And it's just a sock. No one is going to be looking at my socks.
(For the record, I did put these socks in a lingerie bag before washing, so, for me, extreme care was taken. If another hole shows up, however, these socks will probably be either frogged or thrown away.)

No comments: